Tape 2411.05 [Proverbs Series], Associate Pastor Jeff Jones
Winning Over Temptation — a sermon with a video, sex talk, duct tape, and whipped cream.
Value the gift of sex.
Proverbs 3:13-18; Genesis 2:20-25.
Sex is designed to be enjoyed in the context of a committed, loving life-long relationship between a man and a woman, joined together in the covenant of marriage.
Sex is a body, soul, spirit connection. It is God’s gift. He is provided a whole book in the Bible about it.
Protect the gift. Proverbs 7:6-27.
- Guard your mind.
- Stay away from tempting situations.
- Count the cost.
Nurture the gift. Proverbs 5:15-19.
- Plan a discussion.
- Plan a date.
- Consider a mini-honeymoon.
Tape 2411.04 [Proverbs Series], Associate Pastor Jeff Jones
Be careful! Words are powerful.
Words of destruction
- Proverbs 18:21.
- James 3:5b-6a.
- Proverbs 12:18.
- Proverbs 13:3.
Words of life
- Proverbs 16:24.
- Proverbs 18:4.
Be careful! The more you speak, the more you sin.
Ways we sin with our tongues:
- Harmful criticism. Proverbs 10:19.
- Lying. Proverbs 15:4.
- Bragging. Proverbs 27:2.
- Flattery. Proverbs 26:28.
- Gossip. Proverbs 11:13; Proverbs 6:16-19.
- Perverse talk. Proverbs 4:24.
How Can I Change?
- Get a new heart. Psalm 51:10. 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- T.H.I.N.K. before you speak.
- Is it Truthful?
- Is it Helpful?
- Is it Inspirational?
- Is it Necessary?
- Is it Kind?
- Ask God for help every day. Psalm 141:3.
Tape 2411.02 [Proverbs Series], Senior Pastor Gene Getz
Developing Discipline. Proverbs 2:1-6
Human Responsibility. Proverbs 2:1-4
- We must be receptive. 2:1
- “Accepting my words”
- “Store up my commands”
Mutual encouragement and instruction. We are never beoynd growing in widsom. Proverbs 6:20. Titus 2:2,3. Colossians 3:16. Proverbs 27:17.
- We must be responsive. 2:2,3
- “Turning your ear”
- “Applying your heart”
- “Call out”
- “Cry aloud.” Proverbs 8:6-8.
- We must resolute. 2:4
- “Look for it”
- “Search for it.” Proverbs 12:1. Proverbs 15:32
Divine Establishment. Proverbs 2:5,6
- Our new life in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- The Holy Spirit. Romans 8:26,27
- The Word of God. Hebrews 4:12
What disciplines have you developed over the years to help you live your Christian life in all dimensions of your world—in your business life, your social life, your family life, your church life?
Tape 2411.01 [Proverbs Series], Senior Pastor Gene Getz
- Succeent statement of truth.
- The world today has no absolute truth.
- This is a post-modern world…your truth is not my truth.
- Subjective not objective.
- Truth and reality only found in the Word of God.
- Training and instruction. 1:2a; 3a
- Understanding and insigh. 1:2b; 2:2
- Living a prudent life. 1:3a
- Prudence and discretion. 1:4
- Listening and learning. 1:5
- Relating to God worshipfully. Proverbs 1:7; Proverbs 9:10.
- Responding to God obediently. 2 Timothy 3:16,17.
- Resourcing wisdom prayerfully. James 1:5.
A personal word
Proverbs 3:5,6. Philosophy of life.
A powerful witness
From Crime to Christ. Story of Gene’s interview with Michael Franzese. Michael’s book Blood Covenant details his mob life and the impact reading Proverbs had on his life as he served his second prison term.
Two Kinds of Wisdom
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. Colossians 1:15-18.
My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3.