Tape 2465.02, “Oh, My God!” Series
Senior Pastor, Jeff Jones
Props to the drama team for the wonderful tension that was created between the reading of news headlines against a little girl singing “He’s got the whole world in His hands“.
Why does God allow the hard stuff?
If God is in control of my life, and He is good, then He will make my life easy. He will not allow hard.
We want safe, comfortable lives. A cosmic Easy Button.
God is in the hard, and His goodness is often expressed in difficulty.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer had a great understanding of this and The Cost of Discipleship. I really want to read this book sometime soon. I can’t believe I never saw the Bonhoeffer movie that came out a few years back. I remember that it played at the Angelika for a quite a long time.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Hard forges our character.
Genesis 39:2-6 (the Lord with with Joseph is stated 4 times). Philippians 3:10. Colossians 1:24. Philippians 1:29. Jesus learned obedience through suffering and we can as well.
- Hard forces dependence upon God.
It will break our self-reliance. Jesus will only be strong in the lives of the weak. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10
Listen to God is Great, God is Good? with iTunes.
Tape 2411.05 [Proverbs Series], Associate Pastor Jeff Jones
Winning Over Temptation — a sermon with a video, sex talk, duct tape, and whipped cream.
Value the gift of sex.
Proverbs 3:13-18; Genesis 2:20-25.
Sex is designed to be enjoyed in the context of a committed, loving life-long relationship between a man and a woman, joined together in the covenant of marriage.
Sex is a body, soul, spirit connection. It is God’s gift. He is provided a whole book in the Bible about it.
Protect the gift. Proverbs 7:6-27.
- Guard your mind.
- Stay away from tempting situations.
- Count the cost.
Nurture the gift. Proverbs 5:15-19.
- Plan a discussion.
- Plan a date.
- Consider a mini-honeymoon.
Tape 2411.04 [Proverbs Series], Associate Pastor Jeff Jones
Be careful! Words are powerful.
Words of destruction
- Proverbs 18:21.
- James 3:5b-6a.
- Proverbs 12:18.
- Proverbs 13:3.
Words of life
- Proverbs 16:24.
- Proverbs 18:4.
Be careful! The more you speak, the more you sin.
Ways we sin with our tongues:
- Harmful criticism. Proverbs 10:19.
- Lying. Proverbs 15:4.
- Bragging. Proverbs 27:2.
- Flattery. Proverbs 26:28.
- Gossip. Proverbs 11:13; Proverbs 6:16-19.
- Perverse talk. Proverbs 4:24.
How Can I Change?
- Get a new heart. Psalm 51:10. 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- T.H.I.N.K. before you speak.
- Is it Truthful?
- Is it Helpful?
- Is it Inspirational?
- Is it Necessary?
- Is it Kind?
- Ask God for help every day. Psalm 141:3.
Associate Pastor, Jeff Jones
I Was Made for This: Building the Chasm Series
The glory of God is a human being fully alive. — Iranius
Grasp your unique destiny.
- Jeremiah 1:4-10.
- We are created with a purpose.
- God of the Universe has custom designed you.
Give yourself completely to God.
- Jeremiah 18:6.
- Romans 12:1.
- Allow God to work in our lives.
- Be living sacrifices.
Live out your unique design.
- Ephesians 2:10.
- We are God’s work of art.
- Called to be 100% you, in service for God.
- We all have sub-ordinary, ordinary, and extraordinary abilities.
- Extraordinary abilities are God-given.
- Focus on using these extraordinary abilities.
Take a bold step.
FBCN will host its next Impact Workshop on September 14. Discover how God has uniquely shaped you specific skills, passions, and experiences that can used to greatly impact others.