Tape 2411.08 [Proverbs Series] Senior Pastor, Gene Getz
The goal should be to nurture the image of God while nullifying the impact of sin.
An Old Testament Model
- Experience personal consecration. Deuteronomy 6:4-6.
- Emphasize biblical communication. Deuteronomy 6:7-9.
- Eliminate worldy contamination.Deuteronomy 6:4-6. Deuteronomy 8:10-11, 17.
A Powerful Proverb
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6.
- The power of imitation/exploration (Age 1-2).
- The process of identification (Age 2-3).
- The product of integration (Age 4).
A New Testament Perspective
- “Do not exasperate.” Ephesians 6:4a; Colossians 3:21.
- “Bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4b; 1 Thessalonians 2:7-12.
- “Builds itself up in love.” Ephesians 4:16.
- “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.” Romans 12:10.
Tape 2411.06 [Proverbs Series] Senior Pastor, Gene Getz
Do you go to work unaided and unchallenged by the Word of God?
- Lazy hands vs. diligent hands. Proverbs 10:4.
- Wise son vs. disgraceful son. Proverbs 10:5.
- Works his land vs. chases fantasies. Proverbs 12:11.
- Hard work vs. mere talk. Proverbs 14:23.
A Biblical Perspective
The Creation Story
- God created mankind to be His co-workers. Genesis 2:8,15.
- God created work before sin entered the world.
- Sin makes work harder. Genesis 3:17-19.
- Sin affects our co-workers. Romans 3:23.
- But work is still a gift of God. Ecclesiastes 3:13.
Restoration in Jesus Christ
- We are restored to a right relationship with God. 2 Corinthians 5:17.
- Our work is God’s work. Colossians 3:22-24.
- We can meet the needs of our family in a godly way. 1 Timothy 5:2; 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12.
- We can serve other people. Ephesians 4:28.
- Our work enables us to build the kingdom of God. Proverbs 3:9; Matthew 6:33.
Tape 2411.02 [Proverbs Series], Senior Pastor Gene Getz
Developing Discipline. Proverbs 2:1-6
Human Responsibility. Proverbs 2:1-4
- We must be receptive. 2:1
- “Accepting my words”
- “Store up my commands”
Mutual encouragement and instruction. We are never beoynd growing in widsom. Proverbs 6:20. Titus 2:2,3. Colossians 3:16. Proverbs 27:17.
- We must be responsive. 2:2,3
- “Turning your ear”
- “Applying your heart”
- “Call out”
- “Cry aloud.” Proverbs 8:6-8.
- We must resolute. 2:4
- “Look for it”
- “Search for it.” Proverbs 12:1. Proverbs 15:32
Divine Establishment. Proverbs 2:5,6
- Our new life in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- The Holy Spirit. Romans 8:26,27
- The Word of God. Hebrews 4:12
What disciplines have you developed over the years to help you live your Christian life in all dimensions of your world—in your business life, your social life, your family life, your church life?
Tape 2411.01 [Proverbs Series], Senior Pastor Gene Getz
- Succeent statement of truth.
- The world today has no absolute truth.
- This is a post-modern world…your truth is not my truth.
- Subjective not objective.
- Truth and reality only found in the Word of God.
- Training and instruction. 1:2a; 3a
- Understanding and insigh. 1:2b; 2:2
- Living a prudent life. 1:3a
- Prudence and discretion. 1:4
- Listening and learning. 1:5
- Relating to God worshipfully. Proverbs 1:7; Proverbs 9:10.
- Responding to God obediently. 2 Timothy 3:16,17.
- Resourcing wisdom prayerfully. James 1:5.
A personal word
Proverbs 3:5,6. Philosophy of life.
A powerful witness
From Crime to Christ. Story of Gene’s interview with Michael Franzese. Michael’s book Blood Covenant details his mob life and the impact reading Proverbs had on his life as he served his second prison term.
Two Kinds of Wisdom
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. Colossians 1:15-18.
My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3.