14 years ago Shannon and I were married. What a wonderful 14 years it has been and I look forward each day learning to love her as Christ loved the Church. It hasn’t always been easy, but I thank God everyday for the woman that he has blessed me with and children that are the fruit of our marriage.
Our anniversary comes just as our LifeGroup is wrapping up the Fireproof Your Marriage Study based upon the movie Fireproof. While I have enjoyed the study, I haven’t gotten as much from it as I did from Dave Harvey’s “When Sinners Say ‘I Do’“. Harvey’s book points out that my sin is the biggest problem in our marriage. And he is right. My sins are first and foremost sins against God (Psalm 51).
God is supreme, all glory and honor belong to Him. As a result of my sin, I was dead to the things of God. While I was dead in sin, Christ died for me. (Romans 5:8). Now that I trust in Christ and his finished work upon the Cross of Calvary my sins have been forgiven and I have been declared righteous before God (Galatians 3:10-13). Despite this, I still sin. I still struggle with my flesh and I will until the days this body dies. Shannon cannot provide what I need, only Jesus Christ can. And the same is true for her. We are two sinners walking hand-in-hand being remade in the image of Christ. His Gospel saved us; His Gospel sanctifies us; and one day His Gospel will glorify us.
I know that many marriages are struggling today. Marriages are being destroyed by lies, abuse, adultery, pornography, lack of respect, and so much more. My prayer that all who read these words would come to know the Savior, Jesus Christ. He alone can cure the real problem in your life and in your marriage.
Here are a number of recommended resources:
- When Sinners Say “I Do”: Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
- This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence
- Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
- Overcoming Sin and Temptation (Foreword by John Piper)
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ (book)
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ (conference audio)
- Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
- Feminine Appeal
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: A Response to Evangelical Feminism
- Sex Is Not the Problem (Lust Is): Sexual Purity in a Lust-Saturated World