Cross-posted at Vertical
In the fall of 2005, Jars of Clay performed at Fellowship Bible Church North as part of their “Redemption Songs & Stories” tour. One of the songs they performed from the album Redemption Songs was “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love”. Drawn from John 13:35 the song reminds us that our love for one another will testify to our love for Christ.
In today’s text, Ephesians 4:1-6, we see Paul address similar themes. Let’s dive right in and apply this teaching.
Not so fast! I’ve heard it said whenever you see therefore, you need to ask “what’s it there for?”. Here in Ephesians, Paul’s therefore marks the transition from Paul’s teaching on doctrine in chapters 1-3 to life application built on that doctrine in chapters 4-6. Paul’s application becomes empty moralism without this gospel foundation.
The triune God of the universe has created a new people for himself, from every tribe and language and people and nation (Revelation 5:9). In doing so, God has reconciled the rebel to himself. God has also unified a divided humanity. We are called to live as ambassadors of an outpost of heaven here on earth. Christ has won the battle to reconcile mankind to God and mankind to one another.
So how exactly are to we live as His new people?
- with all humility and gentleness,
- with patience,
- bearing with one another in love,
- eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit
Why? Paul reminds us that we are united in Christ:
- one body and one Spirit,
- one hope,
- one Lord,
- one faith,
- one baptism,
- one God and Father of all
Will you join me and strive to live out our calling as Christians; to love the family of God in Jesus Christ; and, to keep the peace in the this family? In so doing this “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love”.
If you’d like to dive into this passage a bit more, I might suggest that you check out these sermons from Ligon Duncan at FPC Jackson:
- Walking Worthy of Our Calling | listen to the mp3
- Walking Worthy of Our Calling (pt 2) | listen to the mp3
- One Body, Spirit, Hope, Lord, Faith, Baptism, God and Father | listen to the mp3
- One Body, Spirit, Hope, Lord, Faith, Baptism, God and Father (pt 2) | listen to the mp3
- One Body, Spirit, Hope, Lord, Faith, Baptism, God and Father (pt 3) | listen to the mp3