Think about these questions:
- Why do we sin?
- How can man overcome his sins?
- What does Adam’s sin have to do with me?
- Does man have the free will to choose God?
- Does the Bible teach “God helps those who help themselves”?
- Man is the crowning glory of creation
- Made in the image of God
- Created with purpose — “To glorify God and enjoy him forever”
- Has an intimate relationship with God
So What Happened?
Genesis 3 – The Fall
Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made.
He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
Genesis 3:1-7 ESV
Satan’s plan of attack
- Rebelling against God’s Word. Satan declared “You will not die” in Genesis 3:4. Adam and Even thought little of the gravity or the consequences of ignoring God’s command in Genesis 2:17.
- Elevating the status of man. “You will be like God,” Satan issued in Genesis 3:5. The poem Invictus comes to mind.
- Adding to God’s Word. Satan is the author of legalism. “Did God really say your couldn’t eat from any tree?” (Genesis 3:1) Eve rejected this, but then added her own “must not touch it” (Genesis 3:3)
A Declaration of Independence
- Shame and Guilt (Genesis 3:7-13)
- Death – God warned that sin would cause (Genesis 2:17). Romans 6:23.
- All of Creation cursed Genesis 3:14-24.
God’s Plan all Along
For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now.
Adam’s Heirs Inherit
- His Nature
- His Condition
- His Guilt
- His Debts
We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we are sinners. It is our nature.
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of GodRomans 3:23 ESV especially in light of Romans 1:23
- Romans 5:12-18
- 1 Kings 8:46
- Psalm 143:2
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.1 John 1:8
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.Psalm 51:5
- Isaiah 48:8
All we like sheep have gone astray;Isaiah 53:6
we have turned-every one-to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.
Our Rebellion is total
- Romans 3:9-18
- John 3:19-21
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.Romans 1:18
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.James 2:10
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.Mark 7:21-23
- Even in religion (Luke 18:9-14, Colossians 2:20-23)
Everything is Sin
- Romans 14:23
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.Hebrews 11:6
For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.Romans 7:18
Unable to Submit
- Romans 8:5-9
- John 3:5-7
- “Slaves of sin” Romans 6:17-18
- Ephesians 2:1-5
Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart.Ephesians 4:17-18
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.John 6:44
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.1 Corinthians 2:14
The heart is deceitful above all things,Jeremiah 17:9
and desperately sick;
who can understand it?
And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.Ezekiel 36:26
- 2 Corinthians 4:4-6
Deserving Eternal Punishment
among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.Ephesians 2:3
- 2 Thessalonians 1:6-9
- Matthew 25:46
- Revelation 14:9-11
- Revelation 20:10
You can’t fix it!
- There is nothing you can do.
- “Salvation belongs to the Lord” — Jonah 2:9 ESV
- “So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.” — Romans 9:16 ESV
- We are totally deprived and Crooked Deep Down
- God points to One who will crush Satan’s head (Genesis 3:15)
- “And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them” — Genesis 3:21 ESV
- “The Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world” — John 1:29 ESV
- Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Horton
- TULIP – The Pursuit of God’s Glory in Salvation
- Total Depravity Verse List
- The Fall — The First Human Couple Sinned by J.I. Packer
- The Fall — That First Temptation: Sin and the Fall (mp3) by D.A. Carson
- Adam’s Fall and Mine by R.C. Sproul
- God Be Merciful To Me (Psalm 51) by Jars of Clay on Amazon (mp3)
- What is the biblical evidence for original sin?
- What is the biblical evidence for the imputation of Adam’s Sin?
- Original Sin — Depravity Infects Everyone by J.I. Packer
- Answering Objection Against the Imputation of Adam’s Sin to his Posterity by Jonathan Edward
- Whatever Is Not from Faith Is Sin by John Piper
- The Sinner Neither Able nor Willing: The Doctrine of Absolute Inability (mp3) by John MacArthur from T4G 2008
- The Bondage of the Will by Luther
- Bondage and Liberation of the Will by John Calvin
- The Gospel According to Pelagius (mp3) – White Horse Inn 7/6/2008
- Pelagianism by Michael Horton
- Anti-Pelgagian Writings by St. Augustine
- A Treatise on Grace and Free Will by St. Augustine
- American Pelagianism (mp3) – White Horse Inn 7/13/2008
- The Canons of the Council of Orange 529 AD
- Human Inability by Charles Spurgeon, 1858
- Freedom of the Will by Jonathan Edwards
- Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God by Jonathan Edwards
- God in the Hands of Angry Sinners by R.C. Sproul
- The Justice of God in the Damnation of Sinners by Jonathan Edwards
- Man’s Utter Inability to Rescue Himself by Thomas Boston